There's nothing quite like waking up in the morning to the smell of a hot breakfast, and these Zesty Orange Sweet Rolls from Clean Simple Eats are no exception. They'll be a crowd favorite as you get your 4th of July to a start even our founding fathers would be proud of.
Zesty Orange Sweet Rolls
Makes 24 rolls
185 calories / 6F / 29C / 4P / per roll with glaze
2 large eggs
2 ½ tsp. instant yeast
½ cup warm water (100-115 degrees)
1 cup cooked, peeled & mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup cold grass-fed butter
½ cup raw honey
1 tsp. sea salt
5 cups white, whole-wheat flour
2 Tbs. melted grass-fed butter
2 Tbs. raw honey
1 tsp. orange zest
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs. pasteurized egg whites
1 Tbs. fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest
1. Beat eggs in a small bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve yeast into warm water. Once dissolved, pour eggs into water with yeast; set aside. Remove the skins from the sweet potatoes and beat with hand mixers until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat almond milk in a pot over high heat until small bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat. Add the cold butter, honey, salt, and sweet potatoes. Stir until all the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
3. Place in a bread or Kitchen Aid mixer. Add the egg mixture and the flour. Knead for 10 minutes. Cover and let rise in the fridge for 2 hours.
4. Split the dough in half. Place the dough on a floured surface and roll both pieces into large, thin rectangles. Mix the filling ingredients together and then spread evenly all over the dough. Slice each rectangle into 12 strips and roll up. Place on a greased baking sheet; 12 rolls per sheet. Cover with a dish towel and let rise for 5+ hours or overnight.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Beat glaze ingredients together and drizzle over the top. Enjoy!
To try more delicious, healthy recipes, follow Clean Simple Eats on Instagram: @cleansimpleeats